Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stop, Look, and Listen


For the first the two weeks of August I stopped writing and spent time looking and listening to the resources around me.  I had the opportunity to attend the SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) 39th Annual Summer Conference in Los Angeles and it was amazing.  I met many aspiring writers just like myself as well as several debut authors who were more than willing to share their experiences.  And that was just hanging around the bar!

The conference had a line-up of authors and agents like none other I’ve attended. They were the rock stars of the industry and I was such a typical fan girl, snapping pictures and furiously taking notes of everything they said. Instead of retyping the notes I will refer you to some blogs which captured them real-time:

See Heather Write (4 blog posts)
Forever Young YA Lit Blog (2 blog posts)
Wendy Delsol

I listened attentively during the workshops, hanging on every word. The topics covered everything from finding your voice and creating characters to plotting and revising. There were so many sessions I couldn’t decide which to attend. By the next conference, I hope to be further along with my WIP so I can take advantage of the critiques offered, as well as attend workshops on querying and finding an agent. I’m already looking forward to it.

Immediately following the SCBWI conference, I attended a virtual conference, Write on Con. I spent most of my time watching videos on plot and pacing and reviewing the query letters submitted as examples for literary agents to critique. There is a wealth of information still available online. Check out WriteonCon at: http://writeoncon.com/about/what-is-writeoncon/

So now that I’ve looked and listened, I’m ready to write.

First up, the blog post – check

Next, blog contest – check (see details below)

Finally, back to my WIP.
I’m at the coffee shop now ready to write. I’m hoping to implement some of the techniques I’ve learned from the conferences earlier this month. Starting with one of Carolyn Mackler’s keys to creating characters…finding out what my character hides in her underwear drawer!


Shiver / Linger Swag Giveaway!

I am giving away a signed copy of Maggie Stiefvater's book Linger as well as a very cool Shiver Tote.

DEADLINE: Wednesday, August 30th, noon, Pacific Time. Winner will be posted on the blog. Open to US Residents only.

Thanks to all that entered.  The winner will be announced soon


Congratulations to Em winner of an autographed copy of Linger and Shiver tote!

2 comments:

Musing 2 Manuscript Playlist